LISTENING TO GOD'S SPIRIT
“And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you. Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation — but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.”
Romans 8:11-16 NIV
Listening to His voice brings happiness, peace, direction and abundance. If you truly want to understand how the Holy Spirit speaks, read and reread these profound words found in Romans 8. How do you listen to God’s Spirit? Paul the apostle proclaimed, “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all” (2 Corinthians 13:14 NIV). What did he mean?
• Fellowship requires being in His presence, and spending time with Him.
• Fellowship means sharing with Him, pouring out our hearts and listening to Him.
• Fellowship implies participating with Him. The Holy Spirit wants to become our partner in everything we do.
• Fellowship requires intimacy. God has chosen to pour out His love “into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us” (Romans 5:5).
• Fellowship includes friendship. The Holy Spirit longs to be our closest friend, someone with whom we can share our deepest secrets.
• Fellowship implies submission. One of the Greek meanings for “fellowship” is “commander.” The Holy Spirit wants to be our captain, a loving, friendly commander, instructing what we should do and where we should go.
• Fellowship gives power to share what God has done in our lives. Jesus said, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8 NIV).
Are you listening for His voice? Recognizing His voice requires hearing it often. Seek fellowship with Him. Invite Him into every area of your life and He will lead you into a new dimension of life.